Cleaning Glass and Windows
How to Clean Windows and Glass
Having clean windows is something that just makes a house a home.
There are plenty of ways to clean glass of all types, yet most people do not do a good enough job on it. This is because they do not know how to get their windows to be clean and streak free. Learning how to do this is easy and it can help you to continuously have a great looking window every time.
Glass will sparkle you take the time to use the right products in the right way.
Below you will find some helpful tips to help you clean your glass and windows.
Cleaning Windows Streak Free
Having streak free windows is a wonderful thing. Yet, few know how to do it.
- Use hot, soapy water to wash them down on a cloudy, mild temperature day. You will want to get rid of all debris first. Get into the tracks and the sides as well.
- Once the window is clean, rinse thoroughly and use a clean cotton cloth to dry and shine it. Now dry off the windows quickly to prevent streaks.
- You can use a chemical glass cleaner for this but it is not always necessary. If You can get a window really clean with a bit of dish detergent.
- When you are trying to clean glass in windows, you will want to work as quickly as you can. This is the best way to get your glass streak free. Keep supplies on hand to help you to do this.
You can use this method to clean glass cookware, drinking glasses, glass tables and other glass that you have in your home, especially those that are used for food.
- Use hot soapy water to wash down the glass. If you are washing drinking glasses, make sure to use a dish detergent that is mild. Then, rinse with hot water.
- You can add a bit of vinegar to the water if you are looking for a really squeaky clean, streak free shine.
- For hard water stains, use a scouring pad that has been dipped in vinegar. Find those that will not etch the glassware, though.
- Use a shaving or toothbrush brush to clean deeply etched or ornate glass that you have.
Other Types Of Glass
You can clean many of the glass products that you have in your home with this easy to make and use recipe.
- 1 cup of rubbing alcohol
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of vinegar
This solution will allow for quick evaporation allowing you to have clean and streak free glass every time. It can also be used on chrome, hard tiles and other surfaces for a great clean as well.
Cleaning Cloudy Glass
Sometimes the glass that you have is cloudy. This is nearly impossible to clean off in a normal fashion but you can find ways to make it happen.
- To clean it, start with ammonia. Add a little to the dish water to see if it will come off.
- If this does not help, then apply a layer of Vaseline to the area and allow it to sit for a day or so. Then, wash it off.
- Denture cleaner can help as well. You will want to let the item sit in the water for a few minutes.
- You can remove lime deposits by allowing the item to sit and soak in vinegar.
Crystal needs fine treatment in order to keep it looking good and keep it from breaking to a million little pieces. If you need to clean your crystal, follow these tips.
- Do not place your fine crystal in your dishwasher. You need to wash them by hand.
- Use rubber gloves to handle them, or try a pair of cotton gloves.
- Do not use high temperatures of water on the glass. You should not use any type of abrasive cleaner on them either. These will damage the glass or etch it.
- Place a thick towel at the bottom of your sink. Then, fill the sink with warm to hot water. You should add in a gentle cleaner to the water, but do not use a harsh detergent.
- Wash the crystal carefully, getting into all of the grooves. Be gentle with it.
- Rinse with the same temperature of water. Going from hot or warm to cold can cause the crystal to shatter.
- Add a handful of rice and a solution of warm water and lemon juice or vinegar to the bottom of a vase or decanter to remove any films that are left behind.
- Invert the crystal on a dry thick cloth. Allow them to air dry. You can go back with another terry cloth to shine them later.